Friday, March 28, 2008

Have wheels, will travel!

This is "Henry" my trusty HHR (short for "heritage high roof"). A few years ago Chevy got into the retro look and came up with this design based on the 1949 Chevy Suburban.

In May of 2006 because of all of my statewide involvement I'd driven my trusty Cavalier into the ground (more than 100,000 miles in just over 4 years!) and was looking for a new vehicle. The HHR was a standout because it not only has lots of room for gear of all sorts (if you're interested, ask what my husband and I do for fun in the summer!) but has a highway mileage rating of 30 mpg. It has the added benefit of a 6 CD changer, XM satellite radio and Onstar, giving me entertainment and safe communication for those long trips across the state. SOLD!

One of the unwritten requirements of the OEA Region III Vice President is having reliable transportation. The Regional VP is expected to attend meetings not only at OEA Headquarters in Portland but UniServ meetings in Coos Bay, Klamath Falls, Medford, Redmond, Roseburg, Pendleton, Hood River and yes, Baker City with side trips to Salem, Eugene and other points west. As a Wyoming native and 19 year resident of Eastern Oregon travel is second nature (when Baker City's only theater was closed a few years ago I thought nothing of a 90 mile round trip for a movie, sometimes on a school night!). I have several maps, studded tires and a healthy respect for the road.

Henry is covered in snow and a layer of winter road film at the moment, but with a good brushing and a fill-up he's ready to be called to action. Have wheels, will travel!

No comments: