Monday, March 3, 2008

NEA-Retired Oregon Recommends Judy T!



The NEA-Retired Oregon annual meeting was held March 3 in Salem. All of the OEA candidates were invited to speak or send others to speak on their behalf. Having visited with the NEA-R folks at their July 16 meeting I felt confident in sending two very competent and persuasive individuals to speak on my behalf: Barbara Gornick and Sharon Shannon.

Barb, a dynamic woman who has had a multitude of roles within OEA and NEA, has been a supporter for many years and spotted my leadership capabilities early in my career. She told me once that she knew I would be a BEA president when I sent a well-written but scathing letter to the executive board about a position they had taken. She and husband LeRoy, another strong Association member, have been through years of Association work and know what it takes to get the job done.

Sharon has been an OEA Board director, NEA-RA delegate, major fundraiser for the NEA Fund for Children and Education, TSPC panel member and local president. Besides having a strong math mind and being an excellent teacher Sharon has a knack for understanding people and what they want. She also understands the concept of finding and growing new leaders to keep the Association vibrant and relevant to our members.

I am proud to say that both of these strong Association members support me and represented me well at the NEA-R annual meeting in Salem, Barb by speaking before the group and Sharon by speaking with members one-on-one.

Thank you, NEA-R Oregon members for supporting my candidacy! Your members are a who's-who of Association leaders who recognize excellence and are skilled at reading the needs of educators everywhere and finding ways to meet them. Your recommendation means the world to me!

No comments: