Saturday, March 22, 2008

How does your garden grow?

Ah, the first day of Spring Break! Since the weather forecast is predicting rain later in the week I took advantage of the sunshine and spent several hours cleaning up the winter debris from my flowerbeds and pulling a few weeds.

After working with my brain every day in the classroom it is always a nice change of pace to be outside and working with my body and allowing my mind to wander and ponder questions from small (What should I serve for Easter dinner?) to large (Clinton or Obama?).

Things look good so far. Amazingly when the leaves were cleared away I found a few pansies not only surviving, but blooming! (The picture at the left is from several springs ago, but that is where the blossoms are.) The rose bushes all have signs of life and tulip leaves are pushing their way up. The rhubarb is coming up in force and will be ready to put into a pie in a few weeks time. My hubby, Vern, is happy about that! A new season is beginning.

As I was in the garden I couldn't help but think of OEA. It is a season of change for us too. With the coming election we have the opportunity for new growth and new direction. Fortunately our OEA forebears had the wisdom to stagger the elections for OEA President and State Vice President with the current election for Regional Vice Presidents and NEA Directors. We are fortunate to retain President Larry Wolf and Vice President Gail Rasmussen who have led us so faithfully for the past 3 years. With their energy and direction we will continue to prosper and to serve our members well. It is time to add new members to the team to help them.

Tony Crawford has also worked hard to serve our members as Region I Vice President but has termed-out so is running for NEA Director. Tony knows OEA, knows NEA and besides being an accomplished teacher is a passionate advocate who would do an excellent job as NEA Director. His leadership would be a continued advantage for our members. Allan Bruner, Oregon Teacher of the Year in 2006, is another outstanding candidate for NEA Director. He is a National Board Certified Teacher so understands the classroom and has served in many positions in his local and UniServ Council. His gentle but focused energy is just what OEA needs now. These two leaders would make an effort to keep all of us "in the loop" on NEA happenings that matter to Oregon.

Al Spencer is an excellent choice as Region I Vice President. He has a vast amount of teaching experience both in Oregon and in other states as well as being an Association leader in many capacities. Al has a level head and has a tremendous amount of drive to get the job done right. Jo Cooper has an amazing 30-year career in education so has seen how much education has changed during that time. She can also appreciate how collective bargaining has changed working conditions for those of us in education here in Oregon. She, too, has a variety of Association experience that would serve members well as Region II Vice President. I am the right choice for OEA Region III Vice President. As a 19-year veteran and long time education advocate I have proven my mettle both as a teacher (I was in the first group of National Board Certified Music Teachers in Oregon and was successful the first try) and as an Association leader. During my term as president I saw Oregon's economy tank. I guided BEA members through lay-offs, severe budget cuts and lost days as well as mediation, an Unfair Labor Practice filed against my school district and a vote of no confidence in our Superintendent. One could say that I survived a trial by fire. This experience helps me to understand member concerns and gives me qualifications unique to the position.

Yes, OEA is in a season of change and with the right leadership we will grow stronger for it.

No comments: