Saturday, April 5, 2008

On the Campaign Trail

I've been out on the campaign trail this week. So far I've logged 740 miles attending just two Mock RAs with much more to come this week. The photo at left is the Oregon Trail as it crosses the Blue Mountains. I often think of those travelers as I drive I-84 over the Blues and down the Columbia Gorge. Certainly my ride is more comfortable than their ever was!

It was a beautiful afternoon/evening to travel on Wednesday to the Mt. Hood UniServ Micro (clever; it was at a local microbrewery!) RA. Coming home the sky was clear and the stars were bright through Henry's moon roof.

The room was cold for beer storage but the people were warm.
After I had spoken to the group, I was asked whether I've made arrangements to do the duties of Region III Vice President and how I could manage being from a place as small and "far flung" as Baker City.

An excellent question! My Principal, Superintendent and School Board support my quest and know that if elected it will mean 20-25 days out of my classroom per year. Naturally OEA will pay for the substitute expenses so it really costs the district nothing. And I am blessed with two good friends who happen to be retired elementary music teachers. They are familiar with my classroom and materials and each is willing to substitute for me when the need arises. It is good to know that my students will learn music from certified music teachers when I am out of the classroom! I have the added advantage of a retired husband who is willing to chauffeur from time to time.

Thursday evening was the Columbia River UniServ Council Mock RA in Umatilla (actually, it was in the tiny town of McNary, next to the McNary Dam). Barb Gornick drove us to to Hermiston where we picked up Sharon Shannon. It was a lively drive home!

This is an active UniServ for its size and is sending 21 delegates to OEA RA. The dinner was wonderful and the conversation interesting. For this event each candidate was given 2 minutes to speak and no one asked any questions.

I felt good about both events and was comfortable with speaking to the groups. The most important part of campaigning is having the opportunity to visit with members and listen to their stories. There will be more listening this week!

No comments: