Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Another Day, Another Mock RA


This is 2008 but sometimes I feel like one of the emigrants who traveled the Oregon Trail. This past year I have logged thousands of campaign miles and have traveled much of Oregon (my last trip was more than 1,000 miles). Certainly my journeys have been safer and more comfortable than those of the pioneers jumping off from St. Louis or Independence, MO, but they have been both memorable and interesting.

On Saturday, April 12, I attended the Cascade UniServ Council Mock RA. There were 24 delegates present, all of them interested in the process. Many asked good questions about the budget and about some of the action items we will address at the RA. One delegate, a 5th Grade TAG teacher, had just had 3 students suspended. Ah, the joys of post spring break hormones!

Monday, April 14, I attended the Southern Oregon's Mock RA at Medford. This was a room full of delegates! Southern Oregon does a tremendous job of engaging members to keep them active. I had the opportunity to visit with Rogue River's president about life post-strike. The community has done a better job of supporting its educators and the ESP members were able to resolve their contract without striking because of what teachers had done the year before. Still there is work to be done and there are challenges in working in a small district.

Tonight I attended my own Eastern Oregon Mock RA in Baker City. We were a small but energetic group as we listened to each of the candidates and then discussed the particulars of the coming RA.

This was the last Mock/Mini RA and we are all headed west to Portland for the weekend where we will make decisions both about who will lead us and about what our priorities will be in the coming year. I look forward to seeing democracy in action once again and am hopeful about my chances in the upcoming election. Serving Region III would be a privilege!

No comments: