Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Race Begins


As a long time OEA member and leader I have had many experiences in the world of education. We continue to be subject to the political climate, the economy and social changes that affect our students and communities. In April of 2007 I decided to take a more active role. I announced my candidacy for Region III Vice President.

Why? I have been a local leader for a number of years and involved at the state level as well. As a veteran educator it seems to me that the time is right to serve OEA's members in a new way on a larger scale. The last few elections within OEA have been divisive. This is a time when we need to look to each other for strength and solidarity, particularly if we want to move Oregon forward in education funding and programs to help our students and our members. This is not a time to fight among ourselves. We need to listen to each other and grow into an even stronger Association.

During the course of this campaign I hope to learn more about the issues that Region III's members hold dear and to find some common ground with all members.

No comments: